Professor Robert Storey BSc, BM, MRCP, DM, FESC
Professor and Honorary Consultant in Cardiology
Department of Cardiovascular Science
University of Sheffield
Beech Hill Road
Tel: +44 (0)114 226 1124
Tel Secretary Ms Chrissie Gash: +44 (0)114 271 2154
Fax: +44 (0)114 271 1863
I joined the University of Sheffield in 2002 as a Senior Clinical Lecturer in Cardiology and subsequently became Professor of Cardiology in January 2011. I am Head of the Platelet Research Group within the Department of Cardiovascular Science. I am also Academic Director for the Cardiology and Cardiothoracic Surgery Directorate and an Honorary Consultant Cardiologist with Sheffield Teaching Hospitals National Health Service Foundation Trust. I have a special interest in antiplatelet therapy in the management of ischaemic heart disease, coronary intervention and prevention of atherothrombotic events. I am Vice Chair of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) Working Group on Thrombosis and was a member of 2 Task Forces for ESC Guidelines published in 2011.
I received a BSc Hons in biochemistry from the University of York, UK, in 1985 before going on to obtain my medical degree (BM) from the University of Southampton in 1989. After completing general professional training, I trained in the fields of Cardiology and General (Internal) Medicine at Queen´s Medical Centre in Nottingham, completing specialist training in both fields in 2001. During that time, I developed a keen interest in thrombosis research, studying platelet biology and pharmacology, conducting clinical research studies in patients with cardiovascular disease and obtaining a postgraduate degree in research (DM) from the University of Nottingham. I have been an Executive/Steering Committee member of numerous international clinical trials and, at present, I am a member of the writing committee for the PLATO study and substudies, executive committee member for the PEGASUS study and UK National Coordinator for the ATLANTIC study.
My principal research area is platelet biology and pharmacology. My particular interests are:
- platelet P2Y12 receptor and P2Y12 receptor antagonists.
- relationships between inflammation and thrombosis.
- clinical monitoring of antiplatelet agents.
- clinical trials of antithrombotic agents.
- genetic influences on platelet function and response to antiplatelet agents.
I am currently coordinator for the first year medical undergraduate Cardiovascular System module.
2000: DM with distinction, 'Novel platelet antagonists in the management of ischaemic heart disease', University of Nottingham.
1999: Young Investigators Award, International Society of Thrombosis and Haemostasis.
Numerous projects in the area of platelet pharmacology. Principal investigator for the PEGASUS platelet function substudy.
- Storey RF, Becker RC, Harrington RA, Husted S, James SK, Cools F, Steg PG, Khurmi NS, Emanuelsson H, Cooper A; Cairns R; Cannon CP, Wallentin L. Characterisation of dyspnoea in PLATO study patients treated with ticagrelor or clopidogrel and its association with clinical outcomes. Eur Heart J 2011; 32:2945-53.
- Tricoci P, Huang Z, Held C, Moliterno DJ, Armstrong PW, Van de Werf F, White HD, Aylward PE, Wallentin L, Chen E, Lokhnygina Y, Pei J, Leonardi S, Rorick TL, Kilian AM, Jennings LH, Ambrosio G, Bode C, Cequier A, Cornel JH, Diaz R, Erkan A, Huber K, Hudson MP, Jiang L, Jukema JW, Lewis BS, Lincoff AM, Montalescot G, Nicolau JC, Ogawa H, Pfisterer M, Prieto JC, Ruzyllo W, Sinnaeve PR, Storey RF, Valgimigli M, Whellan DJ, Widimsky P, Strony J, Harrington RA, Mahaffey KW; the TRACER Investigators.Thrombin-receptor antagonist vorapaxar in acute coronary syndromes. New Eng J Med 2012: 366: 20-23.
- Storey RF, Becker RC, Harrington RA, Husted S, James SK, Cools F, Steg PG, Khurmi NS, Emanuelsson H, Lim ST, Cannon CP, Katus H, Wallentin L. Pulmonary function in patients with acute coronary syndrome treated with ticagrelor or clopidogrel (from the Platelet Inhibition and Patient Outcomes [PLATO] pulmonary function substudy). Am J Cardiol 2011 in press. 108:1542-6.
- Storey RF, Bliden KP, Ecob R, Karunakaran A, Butler K, Wei C, Tantry U, Gurbel PA. Earlier recovery of platelet function after discontinuation of treatment with ticagrelor compared to clopidogrel in patients with high antiplatelet responses. J Thromb Haemost. 2011; 9:1730-7.
- Patil SB, Jackman LE, Francis SE, Judge HM, Nylander S, Storey RF. Ticagrelor effectively and reversibly blocks murine platelet P2Y12-mediated thrombosis and demonstrates a requirement for sustained P2Y12 inhibition to prevent subsequent neointima. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2010 Dec;30(12):2385-91.
- Storey RF, Angiolillo DJ, Patil SB, Desai B, Ecob R, Husted S, Emanuelsson H, Cannon CP, Becker RC, Wallentin L. Inhibitory Effects of Ticagrelor Compared to Clopidogrel on Platelet Function in Patients with Acute Coronary Syndromes: the PLATO PLATELET Substudy. J Am Coll Cardiol 2010 Oct 26;56(18):1456-62.
- Storey RF, Bliden KP, Patil SB, Karunakaran A, Ecob R, Butler K, Teng R, Wei C, Tantry US, Gurbel PA. Incidence of Dyspnea and Assessment of Cardiac and Pulmonary Function in Patients with Stable Coronary Artery Disease Receiving Ticagrelor, Clopidogrel or Placebo in the ONSET/OFFSET Study. J Am Coll Cardiol 2010; 56: 185-193.
- Gurbel PA, Bliden KP, Butler K, Tantry US, Gesheff T, Wei C, Teng R, Antonino MJ, Patil SB, Karunakaran A, Kereiakes DJ, Parris C, Purdy D, Wilson V, Ledley GS, Storey RF. Randomized Double-Blind Assessment of the ONSET and OFFSET of the Antiplatelet Effects of Ticagrelor Versus Clopidogrel in Patients With Stable Coronary Artery Disease. Randomized Double-Blind Assessment of the ONSET and OFFSET of the Antiplatelet Effects of Ticagrelor Versus Clopidogrel in Patients With Stable Cornonary Disease: The ONSET/OFFSET Study. Circulation 2009; 120:2577-85.
- Wallentin L, Becker RC, Budaj A, Cannon CP, Emanuelsson H, Held C, Horrow J, Husted S, James S, Katus H, Mahaffey KW, Scirica BM, Skene A, Steg PG, Storey RF, Harrington RA; the PLATO Investigators. Ticagrelor versus Clopidogrel in Patients with Acute Coronary Syndromes. N Engl J Med 2009; 361:1045-1057.
- Evans DJW, Jackman LE, Chamberlain J, Crosdale DJ, Judge HM, Jetha K, Norman KE, Francis SE, Storey RF. P2Y12 receptor influences the vessel wall response to vascular injury and thrombosis. Circulation 2009; 119: 116-122.