Stick to the tips and don't let the thieves get an easy ride.
How to prevent car crime
- Park in well lit areas and use a steering lock.
- Don't leave valuables on display a thief may break in just to see what is in the pockets of a coat left on the back seat.
- Never leave mobile phones, cheque books, credit and debit cards or driving documents on display.
- If you lock valuables in the boot, check no-one is watching!
How to prevent motorbike and bike crime
- Park with the same security as cars, use a steering lock and a steel cable / padlock or U-lock to secure the bike to a fixed object.
- Ask the University's security department if the area is covered by CCTV (0114 222 9231).
- Mark the frame with your postcode and stick a coded cycle sticker on to let the thief know.
- Get a Recorded Cycle from your local police station or cycle dealer. Photograph your bike and record all the details.
- Lock your bike to something solid such as cycle racks.
- The best type of locks are shackle locks and D-locks. Keep the locking device as high above the ground as possible.
- Remove your bike seat and any lights.
- If you have quick release wheels, take off your front wheel and lock it to the frame and back wheel.