Information for international students
All the information on about accommodation on our prospective student webpages is relevant to international students, but because we know that there are increased challenges in arranging to come to University from outside the UK, here is some extra information that you may find useful.
The best way to start life in the UK
Living in University accommodation is the best way to start life in the UK. We offer some of the best student accommodation in Sheffield, in some of the most popular areas and there's plenty of opportunities to meet, and make friends with other students from the UK and around the world.
Great value accommodation
University accommodation is the easy option when you're coming from overseas - the great value rent includes ALL your bills, room contents insurance and free internet access, so it can work out cheaper than many private landlords. Plus, you don't have to pay your rent before you arrive and you can pay in instalments instead of in one lump sum.
More than just a place to live
We know how daunting it can be moving to a new country. That's why we do all we can to help you settle into your new home. Living in University accommodation, you get all the following included:
- Lots of activities and events, many designed especially for international students. These are a great way to get involved in University life, and are a great way to meet new friends.
- Welfare support from other students who live in the accommodation called 'Residential Mentors'. They are here to look after your wellbeing and support you with any welfare, academic or personal issues you may be having. A lot of the Residential Mentors are international students too, so they understand how you may be feeling.
- 24hr security from our dediciated team of security staff. Sheffield is one of the safest cities in the UK and 80% of current international students living in our accommodation are satisfied with the security provision that we offer.
- Organising room contents insurance can be time-consuming and complicated, so to make life easier for you, it comes as part of the package. This will save you money too.
- Flexibility with when you can move in. Don't worry if your flight means you need to arrive slightly earlier or later - we can help sort that out for you.
- Most of our contracts are for 42 weeks of the year, but if you are a postgraduate, we can offer you a 51 week contract in some properties.
- The chance to experience a wide variety of different food cultures with authentic dishes from around the world, such as Chinese, Indian, Malyasian, Thai, Mexican, Italian and traditional British meals. We also cater for a range of different ethical and religious needs, including providing vegetarian and halal options, as well as supporting you during Ramadan.
- It's quick and simple to apply - you can apply online and we have lots of people to help if you have any questions.
Applying for University accommodation
When applying for accommodation from outside of the UK, we advise you to apply online. Alternatively, you can fax you application to us on +44 114 2220290.
After you have applied
Before you come to university in Sheffield, you will be informed of the accommodation that you have been allocated and your new address in Sheffield. If you do not receive this information before you leave home, we advise you to book temporary accommodation in a local hotel or guesthouse as we cannot guarantee your accommodation will be ready.
Immigration and visa information
If you are applying for a visa/visas for yourself and your family, you will need to show that accommodation has been arranged.
If you are coming to the UK as a single student, immigration regulations do not require you to provide details of accomodation prior to a Visa being issued. If you are told that this is a requirement, please contact the Student Services Department immediately on:
- Telephone: 0114 222 1269
- Email: email@example.com
- Post: SSID, Firth Court, Sheffield, S10 2TN