How To Get Involved
You can have a closer association with Convocation at various levels:
- as a member of the Executive Committee;
- as a Convocation representative on the Court of the University;
- by attending the Annual General Meeting of Convocation;
- by attending social events arranged by Convocation.
The 23 member Executive Committee meets in the University on Saturday mornings seven times a year. Travel expenses for those living outside Sheffield are paid by the University. The Executive Committee has a range of functions:
- it receives information about events and policies within the University and responds to these by communication with the Court, the Council and the Registrar of the University;
- it formulates views on matters concerning higher education and passes these to the Court, the Council and the Registrar for consideration;
- it decides which projects within the University should be supported by Convocation's investment income;
- it has representatives on the editorial advisory board of the alumni magazine Your University;
- it offers support to the Students' Union through liaison with the officers of the Students' Union.
Members of the Executive Committee are elected at the Annual General Meeting of Convocation and any member of Convocation who would interested in being nominated for election should contact the Secretary & Clerk. New nominations for the Executive Committee are always welcome.
Convocation has 42 representatives on the University Court who are elected at an Annual General Meeting of Convocation. The annual meeting of the Court is held on a Wednesday morning in March at the University and Convocation representatives are normally expected to be able to attend these meetings. Attendance at the annual meeting of the Court enables members to hear reports from the officers of the University on the activities and policies of the University and to participate in the discussions that follow these reports. A buffet lunch is provided after the meeting which allows informal discussions between members of the Court. Members of Court are elected for a period of three years. The term of office of the current Convocation representatives on the Court expires in 2009. Details of the elections for representatives for the period 2009-11 will be announced on this web-site.
All members of Convocation are entitled to attend the Annual General Meeting of Convocation. The meeting receives and discusses reports on the activities of Convocation and elections are held for the posts described above. Members can raise any matters of concern or interest that they have and the meeting can resolve to pass these to the University. The meeting also includes a presentation, usually by a member of staff of the University, on a current aspect of university life. A buffet lunch is provided after the meeting. Details of the date and venue of the Annual General Meeting can be found elsewhere on this web-site.
Various social events are arranged by the Social Committee of Convocation. Details of these can be found elsewhere on this web-site. Any member who would like to join the Social Committee should contact the Secretary & Clerk.