It is important to make sure that if you have been a victim of a crime, whether an attempted or successful crime, that you report it. If you don't, not only will the person get away with it but they are likely to commit
further crimes against other people.
Step one is to be aware of who to call if you are a victim of crime. You only dial 999 in situations when you feel an immediate response is necessary. These include:
- Any incident that may involve violence or the use of drugs
- An offender may still be present at the scene i.e. burglary of premises
- Racially motivated incidents
- Call 101 in the Sheffield area to report anti-social behaviour.
- To report a crime to the local police and they will put you through to the crime recording bureau, the number is: 0114 2202020.
- If you witness a crime, call Crimestoppers on: Freephone 0800 555111. It is confidential. They will not ask for your name, trace your call, tape your call or ask you to go to court.