Claim from the Learned Societies Fund
The Learned Societies Fund (LSF) is a University budget that is devolved to each of the Academic Faculties.
In every case, and before incurring any expenditure, applicants must firstly check the specific procedures for approval and claims as determined by their Faculty. The following categories of staff and students are eligible to receive support
- academic and academic-related staff
- technical staff above the trainee technician grade
- registered postgraduate students who are not able to obtain support for attending learned society meetings from their sponsors
Claims to be charged to the Learned Societies Fund budget are limited to three in any academic year (1 October to 30 September) and must be submitted using the Certified Claim for Expenses Form or on-line using myJob.
Claims must comply with the Financial Regulations and the specific guidance contained within the Staff Fees, Expenses and Benefits Procedures Manual.
Legitimate expenses in attending meetings of learned societies are claimable as follows:
- to give an oral account or a poster of original research work, of which the member of staff is the author or joint author, at a meeting of a learned society of national standing to be held worldwide, with a view to publication of the work by or for the society (costs will be met for only one contributor when presenting multi-authored work);
- irrespective of (a) above, to make one visit in each academic year (1 October - 30 September) to hear original contributions to learning at a meeting of a learned society held worldwide; and
- to attend a meeting or meetings, as an officer or member of the council of a learned society. In these circumstances reimbursement should initially be sought from the learned society and only if not reimbursable, should a claim be submitted to the University. The expenses claim form should be endorsed to this effect by the claimant.
Expenses claim forms and on-line expenses submission both contain the facility for the total cost of any claim to be split between different charge codes. If an externally funded contribution is available, as well as a proportion of the claim to be charged to the devolved Faculty LSF cost centre, the claimant MUST split the total claim themselves over the different codes for each funding source.
Expenses claims forms must be completed in full and returned to the Department of Finance. Claims should be submitted within two months of the expenditure being incurred. Failure to do so may delay payment, or nullify the claim. The Learned Societies Fund is unable to reimburse claims to an individual in advance of the costs being incurred.
Need help or more information?
Who to contact
For queries relating to the Learned Society Fund , please contact your Department's or Faculty Finance Team.
For queries relating to expenses claims in general please contact the Expenses Team.