Like It? Lock It, Keep It?
South Yorkshire Police have reported an increase in the number of student properties in Sheffield being burgled. Many of those targeted have been accessed through bathroom or upstairs windows that have been left open. Student properties can be easy targets for burglars, especially during the holidays when you're not there. Make sure you take precautions to help prevent your property being targeted.
- Always lock external doors (front and back) even when you're in the process of moving premises
- Lock your room, no matter how short a time you are leaving it for
- Don't leave your keys in the door or lying around
- Close and lock windows before you leave, it only takes seconds for an intruder to get in
- Don't leave valuables on display
- If there's a burglar alarm, use it!
A property is less likely to be broken into by 'sneak' thieves if it looks well maintained and the neighbourhood seems cared for.
- Use a spy hole or security chain to see who is at your door before opening it
- Never let anyone who is not known to you into the property
- If visitors wish to gain entry, ask them to stay outside while you find the person they wish to see.
- If someone claims to be a representative from a company ask to see identification before you let them in and call the company if you are still unsure
- Draw your curtains after dark
- Always close and lock the entrance door behind you.
Please stay safe and protect your property.
For more help and advice please visit: http://www.southyorks.police.uk/adviceonsafety/homesecurity