The Women's Minibus takes women students safely home from the Students' Union 7 days a week. The Minibus runs every hour from 9.30pm until 2.30am Monday to Thursday, 9.30pm to 3.30am on Friday and Saturday evenings and until 11.30pm on Sundays.
Tickets are £1.50 and can be bought from the Students' Union Box Office or from the driver when you board the Minibus. The Minibus leaves from under the concourse bridge.
Safe Taxi Scheme
- Feel unsafe and haven't got cash on you? Just phone City Taxis on 0114 239 3939
- When the City Taxi arrives, hand over your Ucard to the taxi driver and tell them where to take you!
No cash necessary!
- The next day, come to the Welcome Desk at the Students' Union and pay the price of your taxi fare, and get your Ucard back!*
*Most Ucards will be returned within 24 hours, though in some cases it may be up to 48 hours.
Stick to 'green routes' in Sheffield. These are regularly patrolled and well-lit routes. You should try to stick to them wherever possible, particularly at night. They are the main
routes in and out of Sheffield and receive additional policing patrols to coincide with the arrival of freshers in the city.
- Glossop Road
- Western Bank
- St Mary's Gate
- Cemetery Road
- Eyre Street
- Ecclesall Road
- London Road
- Bramall Lane
- Arundel Gate
Avoid short cuts, a prime example being Frog Walk, the walk that connects Ecclesall Road to Sharrow Vale Road. Also avoid underpasses at night.
Pick up a charm alarm
Pick up a Safety Alarm. You can pick up a free personal safety alarm from the Women's Officer's office or at the Student Advice Centre.
On the streets
- DON'T flaunt your phone! It may feel safer to chat to someone on the phone as you are walking around at night, but it isn't - be discrete! If it is stolen, report it immediately to the
police and network provider (the Welfare Officer can help you find the number to ring). The handset can now be barred and
will be totally useless to thieves. Remember to register your phone with your service provider and record the phones IMEI number (this number can be found by keying *#06# into your handset).
- Keep to well lit and busy areas - don't take shortcuts down alleyways, back streets or waste ground.
- Walk with confidence and with a group. Look like you know exactly where you are going. Never walk home alone.
- Walk facing traffic so a car can't pull up behind you when you are unaware.
- Carry your keys in your pocket so you can give up any bag you may be carrying and escape quickly if necessary.
- For extra security, carry a personal alarm and ensure that it is always to hand.
- Think while you drink. See our pages on drink safety.