Here are some top tips for you to think about:
- Lock all doors and windows even if you are going out for just a short time.
- Leave a light on or buy an inexpensive timer switch and program this to turn your lights on and off when you are not in (particularly useful for University holidays).
- Prevent the sneak in burglar by fitting a Yale type lock that will lock your door automatically as you close it without the need of a key.
- Visible burglar alarms, good lighting and windows with secure locks can put burglars off.
- Don't leave expensive equipment on display.
- Draw your curtains after dark.
- Use a UV pen to mark your property (come and get these free from the Welfare Office) with your postcodes and house number.
- If you are in halls, be careful who you let in through swipe doors and who may be following you.
- Make a note of serial numbers of any expensive electrical equipment and keep receipts in case you need to claim them back on insurance.
- If you buy any expensive electrical goods, dispose of the boxes immediately by breaking them up or putting them in a tip. Don't leave them in public view or everyone will know what goodies you have!
- If you have a lap top, when transporting it, carry it in a sports bag to make it less conspicuous rather than in a lap top case.
Take note of these simple steps and make sure your belongings don't end up in the wrong hands.